On the First-Time Author plan, there are three basic steps to getting your book ready to send to readers: first you will add your pen name, then you will upload your file(s), and finally you’ll create a download page to share with your readers so they can download your book! Each of these steps is outlined below to get you started.
Add Your Pen Name
- Click Pen Names on your BookFunnel dashboard.
- Click Add Pen Name and complete the short form.
Need more details? Learn more about managing your pen name.
Upload Your Book
- Click Add New at the top of your BookFunnel dashboard and select Add New Book.
- Fill in your book’s details like title and description.
- Upload your book cover image and at least one book file (EPUB, MOBI, PDF). Click Save and Close.
Need more details? Learn more about adding and editing books.
Create a Download Page
This is the page you will send to readers so that they can download your book. You can customize the text on the download page, and optionally set an expiration date or download limit. Once you have saved your download page, BookFunnel will provide a link for you to send to your readers.
- Click the Add button at the top of your dashboard and select Add New Page
- Select the book you want to send to readers from the drop-down menu
- Click “No, just let them download the book.” The First-Time Author plan does not let you collect email addresses or watermark book files. Instead, you will send readers to a landing page on your own website to collect their email address, and then send the BookFunnel download page link in your welcome email.
- Complete the form (Very detailed instructions can be found here)
- Click Save And Close.
- Your Link For Readers will be at the top of the screen after saving the new page. If you have trouble finding the Link For Readers after creating your page, this article will walk you through it.
Need more details on how to create a download or giveaway page? Learn more about adding and editing download pages.
Share Your Download Page Link
Now that you have your download page link, you can send it to your readers. Here are some examples of how you might send your link to readers:
- Include the download page link in your mailing list “welcome email”
- Post it on social media for your fans to download
- Do a newsletter swap with other authors in your genre, and offer up your free book for their readers to try out obligation-free
- Email it to your advanced reader team before your launch (Looking for a more secure way to send out your ARCs?)
Where is the link I share with readers?
After you create a BookFunnel download page for your book, you can find the link by clicking Books on your BookFunnel dashboard and then clicking the book title.
Once you click the book title, you are on the book details page. You will see every download page you have created on the book. The “Link For Readers” will be listed next to each page you have created.
On the First-Time Author plan, you will collect reader email addresses on your own website before you send them to BookFunnel to download your book.
If you would like to use BookFunnel as your landing page and collect email addresses, you will need to use our giveaway feature, which is available on the Mid-List plan. You can compare our plans and features here, and if necessary, learn how to change your plan.
When you use a regular download page, we do not collect any reader data. If you would like to track exactly who is downloading your book, you will need to use a giveaway page, which is available on the Mid-List plan. Learn how to change your plan.
BookFunnel is not a promotional platform and we do not have a reader list. Readers will only find your book on our service if you (or someone else) sends them the link to it.
Because we are not a promo site, you can trust that when you send your reader to BookFunnel, they are only going to see your book. They will not receive free content by other authors on our service. While we will never solicit your reader, we think it is awesome when authors work and promote together, so we built this handy board to facilitate those partnerships.
Yes. If you set a download limit of 10, that means that the book can be downloaded a total of 10 times before the link is “redeemed” and no one else can download your book. It is not a download limit per person, because we can’t track readers on the First-Time Author plan.
Yes, your page will remain active until 11:59 pm PST on the expiration date you select.
Send them to us! Learn how to prevent tech support emails entirely and what to do if one still worms its way into your inbox.