This type of download page will require an email address before allowing a reader to download your book. We will store any collected email addresses in a CSV on your dashboard, unless you have Integration on your account. Learn where to find your collected email addresses here.
If you do not want BookFunnel to require an email address, learn how to set that up here.
How To Create a Download Page (That Does Collect Emails)
If you prefer an overview and not a step-by-step this in-depth, find that here.
To create a BookFunnel page that collects email addresses:
- Click the Add button at the top of your dashboard and select Add New Download Page.
- Select the book you want to send to readers from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Yes, collect the reader’s email address”.
- Complete the form.
- Giveaway Name: This is a convenient reference for you. Example: “Pride and Prejudice link for Facebook ad”
- Expiration Date: Your link will expire at 11:59 PM PST on the date you select. You can easily edit this field later.
- Download Limit: This is the total number of times the book can be downloaded. Example: A download limit of 50 will allow 50 people to download your book.
- Require the reader to opt-in to a mailing list:
- If you check this box and you have Integration on your account, we can add new sign-ups to your list automatically.
- If you check this box, the text in the confirmation email makes it clear they are going to be added to your mailing list. This is best practice and conforms to the double opt-in requirement/suggestion in some countries. The text in the confirmation email the reader receives will say: “In exchange for a free copy of Book_Title, you agree to receive future communication from Author_Name.”
- If you leave this box UNCHECKED, the confirmation email that the reader receives will say: “You’re almost there! Just click below to get your book.”
- Confirm the reader’s email address:
- If you check this box, BookFunnel will send an email to the reader to verify that the email address they provided is valid. They can only download the book if they receive this email and click the link it contains.
- If you leave this box UNCHECKED, we will send the reader immediately to the download page. This could mean that a reader submits an invalid or typo’ed email address, but also means fewer clicks and less frustration for the reader.
- Mailing List Integration: If you have Integration on your account, BookFunnel can add your new subscribers to your mailing list automatically. Without Integration on your account, we will store any subscribers in a CSV for you, which you can export at your convenience. We will email you when you have subscribers waiting to be exported. Learn more about BookFunnel Integration with your mailing list provider.
- Customize Landing Page Settings: This is the first page a reader will see when they click on your link.
- Page Title: This is what the internet browser tab will display above your page.
- Heading 1: Use a great tagline to grab your reader’s attention. Keep this short and punchy.
- Heading 2: This is a smaller font than Heading 1.
- Signup Message: This is the message that pops up when a reader clicks the “Get my book” button on your landing page. Experts say short and conversational text is the way to go.
- Button Text: This is the text on the button readers will click on your landing page.
- Page Text: You can leave this blank, use your book description, or use custom text on your download page. If you leave it blank or use custom text, you will need to come back to the download page anytime you want to edit the text on this page. If you use your book description, any changes to your book’s text will automatically sync to your download page.
- Customize Download Page Settings: This is the second page a reader will see, after they have submitted their email address and are coming back to download the book file.
- Page Title: This is what the internet browser tab will display above your download page.
- Heading 1: Use this to thank your reader for subscribing to your mailing list. Example: You’re all set! Thank you for requesting Book_Title.
- Heading 2: Use this to communicate further with your new subscriber. Example: You’ll be receiving another fun surprise in your inbox in the next few days. Stay tuned!
- Button Text: This is the text on the button readers will click on your download page.
- Page Text: You can leave this blank, use your book description, or use custom text on your landing page.
- Click Save And Close.
- Your Giveaway page link will appear at the top of the Giveaway Page Details screen. You can always view and edit the page details by clicking the book’s title under Books and then clicking on the name of your download page.