March 1, 2018
BookFunnel made changes to giveaway pages to become more GDPR compliant. The changes made on March 1, 2018 are the first of a two-part update that will be completed at a later date.
“Opt-in” refers to a giveaway page that requires a reader to join a mailing list before they can download a book.
“Non-opt-in” refers to a giveaway page that does not require a reader to join a mailing list.
All opt-in giveaway pages now have a checkbox that a reader must check in order to claim a copy of your book. Non-opt-in giveaway pages are mostly unchanged, although the “Where should we send your book” default message is different.
What Has Changed
- There is a checkbox that says “I agree to receive email from author_name” above the “Send my book” button on all opt-in giveaway pages. The “Send my book” button is disabled until the box is checked.
- CSVs now contain a consent column (yes or no). Email addresses collected prior to March 1, 2018 will have a blank consent status because BookFunnel did not record their explicit consent prior to March 1, 2018.
- Simpler CSV export options. Export new subscribers, or export “Everything” and sort the data however you like. You can still view the email addresses of readers that did not consent to join your list, as well as unconfirmed email addresses, but you do not have permission to contact these readers.
- The Signup Message default text has changed. When a reader clicks the “Get my book” button to sign up for a copy of your book, the Signup Message is the dialogue that pops up . You can customize the giveaway Signup Message text, but here are the defaults we start with:
- The Signup Message default on opt-in giveaway pages is:
“Enter your email address to get your free gift delivered to your inbox. You’ll also be added to my readers’ group, and you’ll be the first to know the next time I have some cool stuff to give away (you can unsubscribe at any time).”
- The Signup Message default on non-opt-in giveaway pages is:
“Enter your email address to get book_title delivered to your inbox.”
New Giveaway Features
There is a new “optional opt-in” giveaway page. Readers are invited to join a mailing list, but not required. If they don’t want to sign up for a mailing list, they can still download the book. To make your current giveaway page offer the option to join your list, you can edit your giveaway page settings.
Edit Your Giveaway Page Settings
- Click Books on your BookFunnel dashboard and click the book title.
- Click the name of the giveaway page you want to change.
- Click Edit.
- Select your new settings in the “Giveaway Page Settings” panel.
- Remember to save your changes!
You should not because if they live in the European Union, you are violating the General Data Protection Regulation. It is best to only email readers that gave explicit consent and want to hear from you.
Prior to March 1, 2018, BookFunnel did not capture the signup message on your giveaway page, so we cannot definitely confirm that a reader consented to join your mailing list. If your giveaway page required the reader to join your mailing list and the signup message was clear, then yes. If your giveaway page did not require them to join your mailing list or your signup message was not explicit, you should not.
It is still there on all opt-in giveaway pages. It is not available on non-opt-in giveaway pages because readers are not subscribing to your mailing list. You can still export all of the data for your records, but these readers did not consent to receive email from you.